Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Trampoline Hall

So last night I attended Trampoline Hall for my first time. It's a lecture series held in a rectangular room atop Sneaky Dee's, and the whole point is that three people are supposed to give lectures on topics that they're not experts on. I don't know who came up with this concept originally. I guess in theory, it works, and appeals to those artsy hipster types. In reality, I think that if one was actually lecturing on something they knew NOTHING about, the lecture would be boring, lame, bland, and just generally suck. Just my opinion though.

I decided to check it out because my friend Jon was the curator, and my friend Melanie was lecturing. She chose to talk about conspiracy theories, and she did an excellent job. She's practically a genius, which helped, plus she organized her thoughts really well. She already did know a bit about conspiracy theories, but did some supplemental research in preparation for the lecture. She also (very smartly) tied in information about AIDS and other medical issues, which she actually knows a ton about, being a physician. I was incredibly impressed.

After the lecture, there was a Q & A session. Melanie got put on the spot and held her own. She was so calm, cool and collected. She answered everyone's questions eloquently and kept 'em laughing, too. I kept thinking about how giving a lecture is basically LAST on my list of things I like to do. If i were to give a lecture on something I truly know nothing about (eg. cacti, computer programming, football, whiskey, or Epidemiology) people would hate it. I'd be really nervous and my voice would shake. I'd undoubtedly get booed off the stage. Although I would technically be fulfilling the requirements of Trampoline Hall by lecturing on something I know nothing about, it wouldn't be nearly as riveting as the lecture I heard last night.

This leads me to wonder if Trampoline Hall is actually its own conspiracy theory. Maybe it pretends to showcase people speaking about so-called "unknown" topics to them, when actually, they're experts on these topics! This could actually be a venue for these cranial superiors to lord their knowledge over us plebes and brainwash us into admiring and trusting them until they gain full control!

Til next time, stay alert and dress warmly.

No comments:

Post a Comment